Sunday, July 26, 2009

Going Native

Many BethanyC readers are familiar with the adventures of Milton, that highly photogenic cat.

Milton is four years plus and throughout his young life has been a bit more dog than cat. I'm sure this is attributable to his being orphaned in the side yard of my house in Almost West Texas, bottle fed by yours truly, and finding the only other furry creature in sight an aging but good natured retriever style canine who was very patient whilst Milton and his litter mates clamored up and down his fur and occasionally nestled in close for a little nap.
This early modeling resulted in perhaps the perfect cat that comes when he's called, sits in laps, and follows you about the house and yard padding quietly along beside.

I'm afraid however that since moving to our new digs in November Milton's been running with the wrong crowd. Somehow or other he's got into his head that he is indeed a cat and is exhibiting distressingly catlike behaviors. Despite losing of his manhood early to the machinations of someone in the veternary field he's taken to going around the house howling like the most Tommmiest Tom you've ever heard.

Also, and definitely more disturbing is that he now apparently fancies himself a hunter. He's yet to make a kill (thank goodness) so we're not into trophy hunting territory yet and I haven't found any dead mice left on the porch in tribute but I have twice found him carrying terrified field mice about. On the one hand, this is very good because I think some of them nested in my shed where I would rather them not be and perhaps being carried about in a cat's mouth will be enough to encourage the field mice to relocate to a more peaceful environment.
On the other hand, it is just so very catty and who knows whether this catiness will escalate?

What has gotten into him? I suppose it truly is a case of nature over nuture. He certainly was raised to greater things, it's just that darn nature asserting itself again.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big cat fan - long story going back to childhood - but when ferrel cats started showing up at work, it was a good thing. They - there are 3 of them that I know of - started killing the mice that were coming into our store and also the pidgeon population is slowly dwindling - again, another good thing. I always recommend to anyone with rodent problems to get a cat and that problem will start to disappear.
    Good to see you blogging again.
    ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't want Milton to kill varmints at your place, send him to mine. My husband doesn't want our cats to go outside because he is afraid they will be killed by pit bulls. Even though there are no pit bulls in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milton is looking very trim. (And still as photogenic as ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ben. I'm kind of an animal person. I tend to like them all. I really am hoping that Milton's new skills will help with the shed. There's a cabinet in there that I haven't opened in months because I think there is/was a rodent nest in there. Ick!

    CF, I LOVE reading about the adventure of your two. I particularly have enjoyed the garden entries/cat entries.

    Thanks KIT. He has a very different summer and winter look. I've never seen another cat that changes so radically between the seasons. Come fall, he'll fuzz out again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Milton. I bet he and Mister M. would have some interesting times together.

    You know, It's great that he's at least catching them, even if not eating them. You know what they say, if they make a home in your shed, the house is the next thing, and I'm sure you don't want to walk into the kitchen one morning with your eyes half open to see one greeting you from the counter top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wiz, I do think they would have an interesting time!

    ReplyDelete

Please play nicely.