Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pine Warbler

This pine warbler greeted me as I left work on Monday. It's the first time one of these guys has stayed put long enough for me to capture (in a photographic sense) him. Most people that use the internet and also bird know that Cornell University has one of the best websites around for birds in North America. They are also very active in the observation and science of birds. In fact, they just finished their annual Backyard Bird Count in which they harness the power of volunteers across the nation to count birds in their neighborhood. I only had two days that I could count and took counts at my house, our local park on my lunchtime, and the library.

I found it very challenging as there is so much bird activity here, even in a small area. This year the library partnered with the local Audubon to promote the bird count and it was very exciting to see how people became aware of the their surroundings when looking for birds. I still have people coming in to tell me the birds they saw on their walks.

If you're interested in reading up on my handsome friend in the photo, read his page over at the Cornell All About Birds site.

7 comments:

  1. I love watching birds and I have never seen this one. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I was actually astonished to find a photo of this bird [which I found on the internet] to have been taken only a few miles from FTN. I never recall seeing one around these parts. Another bonny photo you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Larry, I'm relatively new to watching birds. I'm learning a lot and really enjoying it. I never appreciated the diversity of species even in a small region until recently.

    Fin, yes, it is surprising but it looks like he has a pretty big range in the Eastern half of the US. Thanks, I'm really pleased with the colors in the photo and the way the seed pods from the crepe myrtle stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing what kind of bird that is. I saw several when I was home for the holidays and had no idea what type of birds they were, but fell in love with them because of their beautiful color.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wiz, aren't they pretty? hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this bird a number of times but I never knew it's name. thank you for posting his page at Cornell :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great shot!
    When observing birds, I always get a little shiver when I think of them as living descendants of dinosaurs.

    Although, I'd be the first to admit that this guy is so cute it's hard to imagine him as a dinosaur. (Unlike a Pelican, which looks like a living, breathing dinosaur to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please play nicely.